Monday, February 3, 2014

For-Profit Government--Not Science Fiction

I don't presume that it was written in response to my post here, but Odd Blots has a good piece in defense of the for-profit government structure many neoreactionaries suggest.

The best point is that corporate structure is the closest modern equivalent to absolute monarchy. It certainly solves the problem of deciding who, exactly, is contemporary monarch material. We're also reminded that the suggestion isn't for a corporation that governs an area as large as the US.

Fair enough. I'm not attached to any particular system of governance because I think the issue is morality (and, more to the point, religion).

I also think we'd all be better off if we maintain a healthy suspicion of the profit motive. It's the best way to run an economy but a lousy way to run a society. But I accept that it can work, provided that the governed are happy with the arrangement.

And, more than anything, I believe in the freedom to try many, many different solutions to the problem of governance. It's the only way to find out what works (and for whom).

Odd Blots also hopes to forestall criticisms that the idea is "science fiction," pointing out elements of our society that fit the label. I called Moldbug's governmental structure science fiction. I admit it was a bit glib but I was referring to his prescription for maintaining the balance of power. He suggests arming the military with weapons equipped with microchips that allow or prevent firing at the board's pleasure. This keeps the CEO from seizing power by force.

Just like the profit motive, we should be suspicious on organizing institutions on the technology that's available at the time. Something could always change, for one.

More importantly, human nature doesn't change--we'd be better off organizing around the naked ape and not his tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment